[csw-maintainers] Proposal : decommissioning desktop support for Solaris 9

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 7 01:53:54 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Jul 06 11:21:40 -0400 2010:

Hi Phil,

> It is in fact, the area where we are most needed, in a way.  Since
> it is easier to compile that stuff directly on sol10, there is less
> "need" for 3rd parties to provide sol10 packages of that stuff.
> Sol9 users "need" us more.

This is true iff there are sol9 desktop users.  Do we have any sense
that there are sol9 desktop folks out there?  I'd be surprised if
there were many.

Even if there are a few, forcing[1] a desktop upgrade to run software
is less of an issue than forcing a server upgrade.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] They can continue to run the currently available, but increasingly
    outdated versions if they wish.