[csw-maintainers] cswinitsmf vs custom SMF manifests vs pkgutil

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Jul 8 18:31:17 CEST 2010

There's a problem that I discovered.  The first symptom is that after
an upgrade done by pkgutil, there is a SMF service that is in the
maintenance state, even though all the dependencies are installed.
I've pulled it apart and discovered that it's caused by a combination
of 3 things:

1. If CSWfoo depends on CSWbar and both are to be upgraded, pkgutil
can remove CSWbar from under CSWfoo; if CSWfoo is running from SMF, it
goes into the maintenance state because it misses CSWbar
2. If a custom SMF manifest is used, r.cswinitsmf doesn't remove the
manifest from SMF
3. If there is an existing manifest during installation, which is the
maintenance state, i.cswinitsmf imports the new manifest, but only
calls 'enable' on it.  This means that the service remains in the
maintenance state until 'svcadm clear' is issued.

I can fix problems 2 and 3.  Peter, would you mind looking at the first problem?