[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jul 9 21:02:18 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Mon Jun 21 19:47:19 -0400 2010:
>
> Hi Phil,
>
>> CSWcommon is 'fixing' things the wrong way, by papering over bugs in
>> other packages[1]...it's cancelling an intended feature of
>> gettext/libintl and doing only half the job at that.  Let's fix this
>> _properly_ instead of adding another layer of papier macher.
>
> Is there an update for CSWcommon in the pipe to address this?  I'd
> like to get the coreutils package working properly.

nothing active at the moment.

As I said earlier in the thread, this requires some research. its "on
my list", but as a very low priority.
Research should look into WHY some locales have the symlinks for
LC_MESSAGES == LC_TIME, and some do not.
Even in the package of your "own" that you are complaining about: some
symlink, and some do not.

There may be some actual known standard or something, in the realm of
locales, that makes this a good idea, and actually BREAKS certain
things if not done.
This is my vague 7-year-fuzzy-memory of the thing. Possibly something
to do with time/date comparisons and display.

And honestly, can you really see me manually putting together umpteen
symlinks into the common prototype package.. and NOT doing all of
them... unless I had a fairly good reason at the time?  I think you
know me better than that by now. :) My usual preference would be to
either just put in empty directories, or symlink everything.