[csw-maintainers] BerkeleyDB upgrade

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 23 09:18:28 CEST 2010

No dia 22 de Julho de 2010 20:20, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> I'm not sure I understand why you are writing this. So, I will add
> more information and hopefully clear things up.
>
> First off, let me say that the existing library search is not
> "perfect". It does not cover all possible library search cases.
> However, it does cover a particular set of interest very well:
>
> If a library has a unique "SONAME", then it will tell you fairly
> accurately which packages have something depending on that SONAME.
>
> Please note: pure "SONAME".  Which is a standalone filename, that has
> no RPATH component to it.o
>
> So, since dbd4.7 does have a unique SONAME of libdb-47.so, it
> accurately tells us which packages need that library.  Which I thought
> was the original question.

Close, but not exactly.  The original question was: "can we retire
CSWbdb?"  The follow up question was "which packages would break if
the /opt/csw/lib/libdb-4.7.so symlink were removed?

The same SONAME is currently provided by two paths, and we're looking
for packages with binaries that meet two criteria:

1. need libdb-47.so
2. don't have /opt/csw/bdb47/lib in the RPATH