[csw-maintainers] Packaging up OraToolkit

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 28 09:26:13 CEST 2010

Hi David,

(adding maintainers@ to see if more people are interested in the
package)

Am 27.07.2010 um 18:53 schrieb David D'Acquisto:
> Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>> Am 23.07.2010 um 22:52 schrieb David D'Acquisto:
>>> i was considering packing my open source project www.oratoolkit.ch
>>> with OpenCSW.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I came to the result that I do not have many benefits.
>>
>> What kind of benefits did you expect? Of course your package will
>> be much easier to
>> install for admins using OpenCSW.
>>

> Yes, this could be but when I meet Ihsan once he told me that with
> OpenCSW there are some constraints which you have to follow. As far
> as I know the installation directory has to be in /opt/opencsw or
> whereever and the thing is that i am supporting different platforms
> like Linux, AIX, HP-UX and Solaris. To make it easy I kept the
> installation path for all platforms the same and choosed /opt/oracle/
> otk as the base install directory.

Correct. This is for consistency of the OpenCSW environment in total.

> This also because I am using appctl framework (http://appctl.sourceforge.net
> ) which I am quite familiar.

I see. On Solaris the integration in the system-wide SMF would be
favorable as all Solaris
admins must know that anyway and the functionality is comparable.

> When I say that I don't see many benefits from it then you should
> also look it from package maintainer / developer point of view. This
> is related with some work effort and I see there not many benefits
> of supporting two packaging frameworks for Solaris. Time is precious
> and therefore it makes for me only sense that someone who is
> familiar with OpenCSW and Oracle should be responsible for the
> package maintenance. I have the feeling that I am definitely the
> wrong one.

I understand your problem. For myself I maintain the SE Toolkit and
indeed make two kinds of
packages: the "legacy" one which installs into /opt/RICHPse as it
always has been and an OpenCSW
one with OpenCSW standard pathes.

> As written in the last email I am however willing to contribute and
> to make software changes to support it but not willing to take the
> lead in the package maintenance. So, tell me how we proceed.

This is great. I'll see that we find someone to package it.

Jochen? ;-)