[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils: location of template init scripts

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jun 9 23:56:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I see; the init file under /opt/csw is there for the NFS client machines.
>
> There's also the argument that you don't need to vary the init script
> between the zones, but it's not a strong one.

and more importantly: if the init script needs per-machine
modifications... the maintainer should be allowing it by way of config
files or smf variables, etc. The init script itself should never have
to be edited by a sysadmin.

>  The
> main point of the elegance being the 1:1 correspondence between the
> init files and CAS executions.  Losing it would be a significant cost
> from the SMF handling point of view, if you think about debugging
> situations for instance.

yup.

> IIUC, the main problem with the NFS setup is the absence of the init
> script from /opt.  If so, why not include one more copy of the init
> file under /opt/csw/etc/cswinitsmf/$PKGINST so that it can be used by
> admins of an NFS client system?

We seem to be mostly agreeing in principle, and just discussing implementations.
I am actually not sure if you are agreeing with my prior suggestion of
"have the CAS duplicate it into /opt/csw/etc/cswinitsmf", or whether
you are proposing an actual duplicate ship in the package itself.
Please clarify.

There is also potentialy a third option, which I have not tested yet
(and need to run out the door soon :)

In theory, if we had no prior installs/use of /etc/opt/csw/init.d, the
straightforward thing to do might be "always put one file, in
/opt/csw/etc/cswinitsmf"
That gives the cleanliness of single-file use, and with a well written
CAS, will work for everyone.

So it seems the main question is how to handle our "legacy"
/etc/opt/csw/init.d packages, without having to force rebuild of quite
a few.

I had an "interesting" thought: svr4 hackery ;-)

Perhaps we can have the CAS script, dynamically RELOCATE, rather than
copy, init scripts from /etc/opt/csw/init.d, to /opt/csw/etc/[...]

By judicious use of  removef, rm, and installf, I think this may be possible.

Then, packages deployed after the new CSW installation, woudl have a
uniform install location, even if the package itself was pre-standard.