[csw-maintainers] Is there any interest in vixie cron?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 12 11:15:48 CEST 2010

vixie cron was my first OpenCSW build, although I've never released
it.  At the time, I was interested in cron.d support.  Later on I've
learned that Puppet supports crontab editing on Solaris, so cron.d
support was no longer necessary.  It's been sitting on a shelf for a
year.  I've recently seen someone on IRC mentioning efforts to port
vixie cron, so there might be still interest in vixie cron from other
people.

The main nice features of vixie cron is cron.d support (which comes
from the Debian patch) and fractional notation support, e.g. */5
denotes "every five minutes".  cron.d is especially nice, because it
allows to drop files into directories instead of editing crontabs.
This way, there's no need to use CAS to have cronjob support in
packages.

Are there any people here interested in testing vixie cron?