[csw-maintainers] new gimp! kinda... needs testing

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Sun Jun 13 06:03:54 CEST 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

>I havent gotten any feedback on the new gtk packages I made :(

>So... I've cobbled together a quickie build of gimp 2.6.8

>I'm HOPING this will encourage someone to try it out :-}

>Please folks.. i really need someone else's feedback on the new gtk
>packages before I offically release them.

>gimp is a large multipackge build to do "properly" (and its not in svn,
>btw) so its a little bit of a hack job.  But you should be able to get it
>with your choice of

>pkg-get -U -s http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/x11-reloaded \
>  -u gimp_gtk

>or

>pkgutil -t http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/x11-reloaded -i \
>   gimp_gtk

Phil:

gimp_gtk is a new package name, so it is not clear what is going to happen
if we load this, as gimp relies upon so many other packages.  Is it going to
pull in the new gtk2 along with other things?  Does it install parallel to
the existing gimp 2.4.3 or will it uninstall that package and install this
in its place?  How about gimplibs, gimpprint. gimp_templates, gimp_help &
gimp_extras, etc.?

I would love to install and test this, but I don't have a separate test
machine for this kind of thing and can't afford to mung up my office
system.  I suppose it's time I bite the bullet and learn how to set up
zones so I can have a test environment for this kind of stuff.  Is that a
good use for zones, and if so, can someone recommend the best place to get
started reading about them?  Is that an online resource or a good book that
I should purchase?

BTW, if I create a new zone, can I login normally to my master zone and
then from there, perform a 2nd login to the zone running in some sort
of window and sharing the screen real estate, or do you need to select
the target zone upon initial login?  (See, like Sargent Schultz, I know
nothing!)

Thanks.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040