[csw-maintainers] Important: X11 related packages, and buildfarm

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 14 17:16:24 CEST 2010

No dia 28 de Maio de 2010 14:20, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> We just started rerolling things like xpm, and gtk, to use the new libs.
> Unfortunately, this turned out to not be the best path, for two reasons.
> One of which was that we lose some hardware acceleration, by not using Sun
> X11 libs. Another was that there started to be cross-version pollution of
> "libX11.so".  Some higher level applications ended up pulling in both our
> version, and the sun version. This is Not Good.

I was thinking about ways of detecting this on the checkpkg stage.  It
can't be done by examining the output of /usr/ccs/dump; it's usually
one of the dependencies that pulls in the other version of libX11.
This check won't be easy to write, but I'm sure there are other checks
that we can write that would detect typical problems and provide
helpful messages, with links to documentation.

Could you identify and describe typical common problematic scenarios
that could be tested for by examining just the files in the package?
(One potential example would be linking against Sun libX11 and
libraries in CSWlibxext at the same time.)