[csw-maintainers] apr-util - searches for libiconv.la - how to use .so ?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jun 19 18:30:42 CEST 2010

Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat Jun 19 06:53:29 -0400 2010:

Hi Rupert,

> ben, you meen this code?
> echo 'ARGS=`echo "$$@" | gsed
> "s#/opt/csw/lib/libosp.la#/opt/csw/lib/libosp.so#g"`' >> libtool;

Yes, but it is the whole pre-configure-modulated that makes it work.
The above is just one piece of it.

I dug into this a bit for you and think I've found a resolution.  I
copied in /opt/csw/share/build-1/libtool to the build directory and
added set -x at the top of the script.  I then manually ran the
failing command and looked for the first occurrence of libiconv.la.
This turned out to be from the use of -lsysdb (pulling in
/opt/csw/lib/libsysdb.la (CSWfreetds).  If you add the configure
option --without-freetds, the build completes successfully (at least
on current9x).

So, you've got two options here:

1. Rebuild CSWfreetds; it currently belongs to Alex Moore who is
   retired, I think).  This would clean up the libtool .la files it
   provides and hopefully allow you to then use it.
2. Build apr-util without freetds support.  I have no idea whether
   this is useful functionality or not as it's the first I've ever
   heard of it.

HTH.