[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 20 03:18:59 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Jun 19 08:58:40 -0400 2010:

> hmmm. I don't remember any more why the lnks were put in. but I
> suspect the missing ones arefor locales that got added later

Why does CSWcommon provide anything deeper than /opt/csw/share?  There
may be a good reason...I'm wondering, though, if dropping locale/ (or
maybe just everything below it) isn't the best solution?  It's not
currently delivering a complete set[2] of locales and it doesn't place
any .mo files.

The other option is to modify coreutils to see it deliver LC_TIME as a
symlink instead of a directory containing a symlink.  This feels less
correct to me, even though it would be functionally equivalent in this
case.

Having read through the gettext docs[2], It's not inconceivable that
some package out there would deliver .mo files for LC_MESSAGES and
separate/distinct .mo files for LC_TIME.  (It's discouraged but not
invalid.)

At the very least, we should come to some consensus on how packages
should deliver files into /opt/csw/share/locale/ in order to have
something to point at in the future if something like this occurs.

Thoughts?

Thanks
-Ben

[1] Different than what sol10 provides, augmented already by other
    apps.
[2] http://bit.ly/9WPqjK