[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jun 20 17:11:04 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Jun 20 11:03:42 -0400 2010:

> it sounds to me, as though coreutils is attempting to do at an
> individual program level, exactly the same thing that is being done
> at the system level with cswcommon!

In this case, the outcome is the same, but it may not always be that
way.  Also, as cswcommon isn't providing every locale, it's doing only
a partial job to circumvent something that should be fixed at the
package level.

> in which case, cswcommon is basically doing the right thing and you
> should remove the coreutils symlinks

cswcommon is only doing the right thing when LC_MESSAGES == LC_TIME.
It is possible in the gettext universe for the .mo files delivered to
be separate.  The symlink of LC_TIME to LC_MESSAGES (while it will
_mostly_ work) is incorrect.

I understand that mucking with cswcommon shouldn't be taken lightly,
but in this case, it's fairly clearly not the correct solution to the
problem.

Thanks