[csw-maintainers] gar suggestion

Andrew Robert Nicols nicols at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 28 09:43:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 08:06:57PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jun 25 19:53:00 -0400 2010:
>
> > I am saying that IF you are in "download the source code" mode, AND
> > IF there is no existing checksum in the file, THEN auto-generate
> > one.
>
> Ok, so autogenerate iff ! -f makesums.  That would be a fair addition.

To me that seems a good solution. Though I think that it should be
additive. I.e. If an individual file is missing, add it rather than
removing the whole file and re-generating it.

> > > If you want to rephrase the suggestion to "lets get rid of
> > > [checksums] [(entirely)] I'd likely jump on that with you.
> >
> > I'd second that though :-)
>
> Does anyone else find the makesums helpful?

I can see the use for them. I think that they do have their place but
perhaps the use-case is a little rare. For example, a package whose source
has a generic download URL with no version numbering in the file. If you
want to re-build the package without updating the version, then you may
want to ensure that the version you've downloaded hasn't changed.

Andrew

--
Systems Developer

e: andrew.nicols at luns.net.uk
im: a.nicols at jabber.lancs.ac.uk
t: +44 (0)1524 5 10147

Lancaster University Network Services is a limited company registered in
England and Wales. Registered number: 04311892. Registered office:
University House, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YW