[csw-maintainers] gar suggestion

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 29 04:08:59 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jun 28 20:45:48 -0400 2010:

> what's so horrible about adding to the above workflow
>
>  1.5  type "gmake gitify" ?
>  2. hack the source...

Because it breaks the nice granularity that is had be making separate
commits of the original source and individual patches.

> Contrariwise, if you KNOW you are not interested in patching, and
> you KNOW you just want to "build and go"... waiting the extra time
> to watch the system "set up for patching" is fairly annoying.

Before I spend time debating this with someone that only peripherally
uses GAR, I'd prefer to hear views of others that use it daily...

> and consider if this is a non-maintainer, who just wants to built a
> package,and might not even have git installed?

This is even less of a consideration for me.  GAR is there to make the
life of the maintainer easier.  If someone wants to build a recipe and
tweak a package, they can 'take the hit.'  Git is a required package
for using GAR (as defined by the list of packages looked for prior to
doing anything).

Thanks