[csw-maintainers] A question of naming, in our svn repository

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jun 29 18:58:33 CEST 2010

Maintainers, your input is required, over a matter of policy in naming
directories, in our subversion repository.

We have two mutually exclusive ways to go:
a) facilitate finding an svn directory from an "upstream" name
b) facilitate finding an svn directory from a package name.

Specific example, of the general case:
We have a package, "gtk_engines".
Should the subversion directory for it, be named "gtk-engines", or
"gtk_engines"?

My thoughts on the issue are as follows:

Of the people coming to our subversion repository, (both maintainers,
and non-maintainers)
almost no-one will care about case (a).
They will mostly care about either "I want to take an existing OpenCSW
package, but recompile it with my own tweaks", or "I am going to take
over a package; I need to grab it from svn".

its all very well to say, "yes well the specific directory information is in the
OPENCSW_REPOSITORY property", but that is a hassle to look for, and
most people will forget about that anyway (if they even knew it in the
first place)

In my view, simpler is better. not to mention being internally
consistent. I think the svn directory name should match the
package/catalog name. In the instance where multiple packages come out
of a single svn directory, I think the directory should be named after
the "main" package.
 (which we mostly already do anyway. eg: "curl" ->
"curl_devel","curl_rt", "curl".)