[csw-maintainers] Changing the package description for Perl modules

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 2 15:05:10 CET 2010

Hi Maciej,

Am 02.03.2010 um 14:49 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Peter Bonivart
> <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Benjamin von Mossner <benny at opencsw.org
>> > wrote:
>>> hey,

>>> i like the idea, +1 from my side.
>>
>> I also think it would be helpful.
>>
>> Could something similar be done for php and python?
>
> Yes, but I don't know if the description is the best place to put such
> information.  In the case of Python modules it's possible that one
> package provides more than one module, it would need to be a list.
>
> What are the specific use cases that you had in mind Dago?

If I want to install a Perl module I have to look up which package
it is in. That means I know it is Config::Augeas on CPAN. This may
or may nor translate to CSWpmconfigaugeas, CSWpmcfgaugeas or
CSWpmcfgaug. We could also have special variables in the pkginfo
which must then find their way to the package database somehow, like
   PERL_MODULE_NAME=Config::Augeas
That's why the description seemsed easiest.