[csw-maintainers] Porting FAQ

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 5 10:06:59 CET 2010

* Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I've recently had an awesome Solaris porting session with William.
> Thanks to him I managed to work around things much quicker than it
> would take me if I had to work out each thing by myself.  For
> instance, when stdint.h was missing, William had an instant answer:
> use sys/inttypes.h instead.
>
> I've started a stub wiki page for these kinds of porting tips.
> There's also a section with useful links related to Sun Studio and
> Solaris porting in general.  There's also a section about how to
> quickly create a patch and integrate it with GAR.
>
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/porting-faq
>
> Whenever you solve a porting issue that looks like a typical problem,
> please update the wiki to make the world a better place.

Very cool! A plea to everyone who adds stuff: please when possible not
only add your solutions, but also the rationale behind them, ideally
with some references. That way people running into the same issue can
not only copy and paste, but also try to understand what is going on and
learn at the same time.

Sebastian