[csw-maintainers] Changing the package description for Perl modules

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 5 19:36:12 CET 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 04.03.2010 um 22:14 schrieb Philip Brown:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Peter Bonivart
> <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
>> wrote:
>>> But if the argument is, "lets put it in the existing DESC field", so
>>> that it goes in the descriptions file, and is thus still searchable
>>> client-side relatively easily... then thats ok by me.
>>
>> That's what I meant and I think that's what Dago meant as well.
>>
>> Sample:
>>
>> pm_netdns - Net::DNS. Interface to the DNS resolver
>
> I think we would be better served having it postpended, rather than
> prepended.
>
> Well, i guess it all depends whether people who may view truncated
> descriptions of our packaged perl modules, would benefit more from
> english description, or CPAN description.
> I cant honestly say I know; we might actually need to do a user
> survey of this.
>
> Personally, I think that CPAN ::-:: notation is primarily useful only
> when you are actually using CPAN. and if you are using CPAN, then you
> have no need of our description anyway :-}

My typical usecase it that I know the module name and want to
find the matching package/catalog name to install it.
Currently the only possibility is to guess the path (like
/Net/DNS.pm for the above example) and search in "view
package files" page. So I think putting it first would
be best like in the example.-