[csw-maintainers] Changing the package description for Perl modules

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Mar 5 20:43:42 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> Am 04.03.2010 um 22:14 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> Well, i guess it all depends whether people who may view truncated
>> descriptions of our packaged perl modules, would benefit more from
>> english description, or CPAN description.
>> I cant honestly say I know; we might actually need to do a user survey of
>> this.
>>

> My typical usecase it that I know the module name and want to
> find the matching package/catalog name to install it.
> Currently the only possibility is to guess the path (like
> /Net/DNS.pm for the above example) and search in "view
> package files" page. So I think putting it first would
> be best like in the example.-

I'm confused... You wrote that you do a search on the package files database.
How does that translate to "putting it first in the description would be best"?

When you are searching for something based on description in our
packages, why would you not use

pkg-get -D what-you-what
or pkgutil (whatever the syntax is)
?

and in that case, as I have mentioned, why would it matter whether the
string you want is first, or last?