[csw-maintainers] Detecting the dependency on CSWdbus (was: Re: evince-2.24.2 in experimental)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 8 18:50:45 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> The shared library linking check detected that evince needs to depend
> on CSWlibdbus, but evince needs the dbus daemon running in order to
> work.  Every time this kind of a problem occurs, I'm thinking hard how
> to write an automated check for it, or find another way to make sure
> that the issue doesn't happen again.

If you can solidly prove (to yourself, no formal writeup needed) that
libdbus is useless without dbus, then you may be best off merging.

Contrariwise, there is still probably a concept of "required runtime"
vs "other".

So maybe the "rt" package needs both the lib and the demon, but the
top level gets "devel" stuff?

Hrrm. there's already a dbus_devel.
maybe dbus_rt should just become a stub after all.

comparing...
debian packages that seem of interest would be:
libdbus, dbus-x11, dbus-utils, and plain ol' "dbus".

there's a bit of a mixup.. the description of "dbus" claims,

"This package contains the D-Bus daemon and related utilities. "

if so, why is there aa separate dbus-1-utils package I wonder.
oh, its only a virtual package, in recent releases.

It DOES sound like a nice idea to have a separate splitoff for x11.
But you'd have to do some research on how exactly that happens.
Possibly our dbus_glib is effectively the same thing.

> Another way would be to detect whether the application makes actual
> calls to the dbus API, and therefore needs the daemon to run.

contrariwise, look at the api, and see if there is any use whatsoever
in any of the API calls if there is no demon running.