[csw-maintainers] Which x11 library to choose?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 8 19:36:17 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> The automated check could work as follows:
>
> - if it's a binary, it's okay if it links against the Sun X11.

if and only iff nothing in its depency chain uses CSW libs, or has
/opt/csw/X11/lib in its path.
you would have to recursively parse the entire tree.
App
    libOne.so
        libTwo.so
            libThree.so
            libFour.so
        libFive.so
    libSix.so
        libSeven.so

ALL dynamic objects above, would have to be parsed, for "App".

> - if it's a library, throw an error if it links against the Sun X11.
>
> If the maintainer knows it doesn't need to use X11 libs, the error tag
> can be overriden.
>
> Would such check make our packages better?

Possibly. It would be good if the error message explicitly explained
how to override it, and also an explaination of when it is appropriate
vs not appropriate.