[csw-maintainers] [RFC] Upstream git handling change

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 15 01:54:40 CET 2010

Hi All,

I'm considering a change to the way GAR handles upstream repos.  This
is a result of dealing with an upstream gitorious repo for the first
time.  It seems that the remote .git repo name is typically
mainline.git.  While they do offer $project.git too, they're not
always identical.

The change that I'm proposing is to always store the local copy of the
repo as $(GARNAME).git instead of basically doing $(filename
$(GITREPO)) (eg: git://github.org/someproj.git -> someproj.git).  In
my dealings, the url generally contains $(GARNAME).git already, which
is why the code 'is the way it is' now.

I don't think this will hurt anything, and it removes the conflict of
names if multiple gitorious repos are tracked.  The only possible
downside I can think of is that more 'smarts' would be required in the
case that a single GAR project tracks multiple sources, and more than
one are git repos.

Will this change negatively impact anyone else?

Thanks