[csw-maintainers] Completely drop Solaris8?

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Tue Mar 16 18:13:06 CET 2010

Hi

>>> My take on it is: lets freeze the Solaris 8 trail, but keep it as a legacy
>>> trail for those still running Solaris 8. Bug fixes to that trail is only
>>> done if the maintainer chooses so.
>>>
>> +1
>>

> another +1

We actually have a loooootttt of software which are available on Solaris
8 and not yet released as stable. So I would say, let's do one last
"stable" supporting Solaris 8, then freeze it.

After this freeze, if people need Solaris 8 packages, i would support
the idea to provide missing GAR description instead of providing
packages for this legacy version. What i mean is that our policy might
be the following

If you need a package update for Solaris 8, please use GAR and rebuilt
it by your self
If it is not in GAR, then we will add build description, but not provide
package.

Thoughts about this ?

cheers
W.