[csw-maintainers] Completely drop Solaris8?

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 16 18:56:39 CET 2010

On 2010-03-16 18:17, Peter FELECAN wrote:

> I'm even for dropping Solaris 9 (who gives a Greek drachma on so old
> versions?)

Well, there still are a lot of people running Solaris 9.
Its not uncommon that companies doesn't upgrade OS during the lifetime
of the HW.
And even though the "financial liftime" (for accounting purposes) here
in Sweden is 3 years, many use their systems longer than that.
Also many times you can't use the latest release for some reason
(proprietory software not supported on newer OS yet) so even though at
install time you had something newer to choose from, you got something
older.
And then you have the usual "hmm, let someone else be the guinea pig and
discover all the bugs in either SW or OS or a combo" which makes people
wait a while until they start using the latest.

If you put all of that together, I know of a lot of companies having
systems with Solaris 9 with varying reasons why they run Solaris 9 and
not 10. Most of those systems are being planned to be replaced, but I
would say that its not until late next year they will have replaced most
of them.

( One customer of mine shut down their last E450 with Solaris 2.6 last
year... )

But I would say that in general there should not be any reason for us
supporting anything but releases in GA or "Retired Phase 1" and Solaris
9 will end up in "Retired Phase 2" in october 2011.