[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Mar 19 19:20:52 CET 2010

Soooo.. James uncovered some bad news on the CSW X11 front.

Graphically speaking, we have been integrating with sun's OpenGL
library, libGL.so, for hardware-accelerated graphics.

Trouble is... Sun's libGL.so, requires "libX11.so.4". even in solaris 10.

Whereas our newer libX11, is libX11.so.6.

That means, stuff that we compile against the nice new shiney X11,
cannot use (sun provided) hardware 3d accel .

The good news is, there are precious few packages that truely *need* 3d accel.

The bad news is, its still going to be "less shiney" in some areas.

ones that would directly benefit from hardware 3d in common usage (I
may have missed some but these are bad enough):

xscreensaver
xlockmore
flightgear
bzflag
quake2
neverball
(radiance?)
criticalmass
armagetron
tuxkart
rsxs
stellarium
kicad
gl117
#The following are "only" 3d libraries/toolkits
fox
plib
freeglut
kdegraphics_gcc
wxwidgets_gtk2

More "good" news, is that many of them dont need the new CSW X11, so
there is no direct conflict. But those ones that use gtk, either
directly, or INDIRECTLY, potentially have a problem.

xscreensaver mplayer