[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Mar 22 19:36:38 CET 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 12:26 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> More "good" news, is that many of them dont need the new CSW X11, so
>> there is no direct conflict. But those ones that use gtk, either
>> directly, or INDIRECTLY, potentially have a problem.
>
> Ugh. Does that mean we need double libraries: one in lib/ bound
> against Sun X11 and one in X11/lib bound against CSW X11 and the
> apps go to decide?

For some libraries... such as gtk.... yup looks like it.

The "good" news is, we can probably just keep the legacy gtk libraries
for those purposes.
the matching bad news is, that still means, "no 3d hardware accel, for
newer-fancier-gtk programs".

Because as we previously found out.. some things just wont work with
Sun X11, period.
Even "newer" versions.
All because of *#@$@ gtk "improvements".

I dont remmeber the exact reasons, though; William's the expert on
that. Maybe there's
some kind of hack possible, but I'm scheptical about it.