[csw-maintainers] merge issue with 64-bit builds (was [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs libproxy)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 22 19:53:00 CET 2010

2010/3/22 Roger Håkansson <hson at opencsw.org>:
> On 2010-03-22 18:16, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
>>
>> 2010/3/22 Roger Håkansson<hson at opencsw.org>:
>>>
>>> there isn't any way to tell GAR to merge only libraries not binaries when
>>> building 64-bit.
>>
>> There is, here's the idiom:
>>
>> MERGE_DIRS_isa-extra = $(libdir)
>>
>> It's literally 'extra', a shorthand for:
>>
>> MERGE_DIRS_isa-sparcv9 = $(libdir)
>> MERGE_DIRS_isa-amd64   = $(libdir)
>
> In this case (libproxy), that would do the trick.
> But in some cases one might want to skip merging binaries into the "base"
> package, but have "runnable scripts" in the development package (i.e where
> you have a xxx-config which gives pkg-config-like functionality). How would
> you do that then?

Specific tools aside, this is a question for release managers: is it
worth the trouble to cherry-pick binaries like this, risking an error?
 If so, how do we ensure that errors don't happen?  (think: automated
checks)  Otherwise, maybe there's less overall risk in just including
the 64-bit binaries, even though they might run slightly slower?

* It might be a negligible difference.