[csw-maintainers] merge issue with 64-bit builds (was [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs libproxy)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 23 16:38:22 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> 2010/3/22 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:

>> So you might just choose to make it easier for humans to quickly and
>> efficiently divide the files as appropriately.
>
> Do I read you correctly that you're questioning the feasibility of
> automation in this area by arguing that "it might fail"?

Well, that's a short way to put it.
A longer, more accurate way would be:
This should be a relatively rare occurrence (doing custom "wierd" splits).
If you focus on making it easy to do the split manually, one time per
package, you will probably eliminate much of a call for automation.

In other words, since you KNOW there will be some cases where doing it
manually will be *required*... I would suggest that you first focus
your efforts on making that bit as painless as possible.. and then
after that is done, reevaluate, "is it worth extra time to attempt
additional automation in this area, particularly when I know it wont
always work?"