[csw-maintainers] Bugreport on alternatives with NFS-shared /opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 23 19:17:03 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Mar 23 12:33:22 -0400 2010:

> Why would we need to ever "upgrade" from upstream? We grabbed the
> code because the current code, meets our current needs. We do not
> have a need to "track upstream" with it.  (just as we grabbed
> GAR. we dont "track upstream" with that. just the opposite)

If it's a globally useful feature addition, we'd be "jerks" for not
sharing it back.  If the addition of this support wouldn't negatively
impact the original design environment, then I don't see a reason not
to give back[1].

Since it's code taken from a GPL project, any published changes would
need to be made available in source form.  It would be _less_ burden
on us to have it rolled in upstream, since they're already shouldering
that load.

I guess in my OP, I used the wrong wording.  I was simply trying to
state that in the environment for which the system was designed, the
current implementation makes sense.  It simply lacks support for
working cleanly in this new environment where things happen that were
never part of the original design spec.  It a lacking feature, not a
bug.

-Ben

[1] Speaking as if I were implementing the changes, which I'm in no
    way volunteering to do.