[csw-maintainers] checkpkg update: new shared library checking code

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 24 00:03:42 CET 2010

I've recently discovered a small glitch in the shared library checking
code, started fixing it, and eventually realized that this part of
code needs to be rewritten from scratch, so I rewrote it, reductive
style.  Change r9343 removes more code than it adds, it makes checkpkg
run faster, and also use less memory.  I'll post more details later.

Notable improvements:

checkpkg now tells, _why_ it suggests each dependency.  For example:

# CSWpysvn:
# SUGGESTION: you may want to add some or all of the following as dependencies:
# CSWgcc4corert, reasons:
# - provides /opt/csw/gcc4/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 needed by
opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn_2_6.so
RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWpysvn += CSWgcc4corert
# CSWpython, reasons:
# - found file(s) matching .*\.py$, e.g.
'/opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pysvn/__init__.py'
RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWpysvn += CSWpython
# CSWsvn, reasons:
# - provides /opt/csw/lib/svn/libsvn_client-1.so.0 needed by
opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn_2_6.so
# - provides /opt/csw/lib/svn/libsvn_repos-1.so.0 needed by
opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn_2_6.so
# - provides /opt/csw/lib/svn/libsvn_diff-1.so.0 needed by
opt/csw/lib/python/site-packages/pysvn/_pysvn_2_6.so
RUNTIME_DEP_PKGS_CSWpysvn += CSWsvn

Now, if you read the output, you'll learn that checkpkg thinks that
CSWpython should be added as a dependency, because a .py file has been
found.

I hope that the improved diagnostics will make it easier for you to
manage dependencies.

As always, please contact me in case of any problems with checkpkg.