[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Mar 24 18:11:05 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM, William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> First of all sorry for being offline a few days when this topic was hot...
>
> Today my mind is really shared. I'm afraid that we have to face a situation
> which is choosing between two answers :
>
> A. Stick to current X11 version, and accept to stick to old versions of
> software
> B. Upgrade to latest X11, got up to date versions of software and definitely
> drop older version of Solaris OS
>
> This is a binary decision, but unfortunately this is the real situation.

There is an apparent 3rd choice:

back rev our gtk "half way", to 2.14, instead of the more ancient
2.12. This should let us compile firefox3 against it.

> IMHO, Solaris 10 is no longer the future. It is today.

I dont see how "Solaris 10" is relevant to the question of "what do we
do about X11 libs?"
The X11 lib questions and problems still remain, even if we change to
only use solaris 10.
In the interest of not drowning under a deluge of emails on this list,
I would thus request  that we attempt to focus on one issue at a time,
and the most PRESSING one, is the X11 one.

>From my understanding, moving to gtk2.14, gets us the best of all worlds:

1. reasonably modern gtk support, which means we should be able to
compile most other recent apps too.
 (I THINK so, at any rate. but if you have hard proof to the contrary,
please elucidate)

2. we still get to use sun's libX11.so.4 with it. Which means we'll
still get hardware acceleration.

Comments?