[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 25 15:32:17 CET 2010

On 25/03/10, 13:31:46, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front:

> >> Ironic or not this is stagnating since more than a year, isn't it?
> >> All of the above shows the incapacity of our project to make a
> >> decision.
> >
> > Correct and the action depends on desire and opportunity.  We can't
> > decide to release stable if the opportunity is not there because it is
> > not stable and there seems no desire to create the opportunity.  This
> > is unrelated to Solaris 8 as the packages are currently similar across
> > revs.

> There is desire. However, obviously no one has identified of what needs
> to be done. Ben offered to kick people to update their stuff and keep
> track of progress if anyone would identify it. Other than the general
> "X11 is broken here" was not identified.

It's not because it's a product of the investigation.

> The approach by Maciej with generational releases has been torpedod,
> so there is no other stable project right now.

Not exactly but it should come against exactly the same problem, lack
of integrity in the unstable release.  If it didn't then it needs
killing.  My question was how would it be more likely to lead to a
stable release?  Simply declaring stuff stable because it's old is
not the answer.

> So it is more like a "I, James, am working on it and this is not the
> right time now and there is no way to help me and I don't want other
> people to work on it." This may or may not how it is intended but
> it feels like this to me.

I, James, have been working on this and my conclusion is it needs
other people to work on X11 (and probably other packages pending the
investigation) because the set won't pass as stable.

James.