[csw-maintainers] bad news on the CSW X11 front

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 25 17:39:52 CET 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:15 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ironic or not this is stagnating since more than a year, isn't it?
>>
>> All of the above shows the incapacity of our project to make a decision.
>>

> incorrect. we did not have stable sooner, because this is a volunteer
> organization, and there has not previously been sufficient voluteered
> time/commitment to produce a "stable" stable.

It seems obvious that there is nobody volunteering to do the "stable"
release from start to end in a reasonable span of time. Besides James, I
was the only one participating in previous "stable" wise
QA. Unfortunately, today I do not have anymore the SPARC servers to
help, consequently I'm not volunteering.

> but this is irrelevant to the "what do we do about X11" question.

It is relevant as the following is a solution:

1. drop Solaris 8 and 9
2. use the SUN provided X11 with Solaris 10

and you have 3d acceleration on those hardware platforms where the
feature is available.

--
Peter