[csw-maintainers] cswinetd and cswetcservices?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed May 5 22:32:48 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM, Darin Perusich
<Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com> wrote:

> I'd rather not make the presumption that just because something been
> installed it should be started. My preference has alway been off by
> default and if the admin wants to use it they can enable it.

which is exactly why the autoenable_demons option in csw.conf was invented.

If the admin doesnt want demons enabled, even after installing a
package, then they will set it to "off". So, that concern is already
handled.

Shouldnt maintainers be in the business of allowing the admins to make
decisions flexibly, rather than making decisions FOR them?

To look at it another way; If you are not respecting the admin's
choice of setting for autoenable_demons, then you are going AGAINST
the admin's decision.
That's not a good path to follow, is it?

If they DO want the things enabled by default, you are unneccessarily
making things more difficult for them.

Just go with what's in the site-local csw.conf settings.

Which you dont have to do anything yourself, to respect.
Just let the class action script handle it, and interpret the
site-admin's decision about it. That's what it's for.