[csw-maintainers] Catalog broken

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue May 18 19:48:03 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue May 18 13:42:03 -0400 2010:
>
>> > I thought the error was to do with some packages either missing a
>> > field or others having extra.  If the format changed, shouldn't all
>> > package entries in the catalog have the same amount of fields?
>> >

>> not neccessarily.
>
> So tools need to be aware that a line with X fields is the old format
> and (X + 1) is the new?  This is doable, but wouldn't it be nicer if
> all the packages were updated to include the new info?

nicer for tool writers? perhaps :) but backward compatibility is
something that tool writers need to now deal with, since we have older
formats for 'stable'. so, not really. consider it "forced incentive"
:-D

PS: Oi! How about that xrender package that everyone's waiting on,
instead of faffing about with catalog formats? ;-)