[csw-maintainers] apr-util - searches for libiconv.la - how to use .so ?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue May 25 09:53:40 CEST 2010

Hi Rupert,

Am 23.05.2010 um 14:12 schrieb rupert THURNER:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 13:16, rupert THURNER <rupert at opencsw.org>
> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 14:26, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Excerpts from rupert THURNER's message of Sat May 22 07:41:14
>>> -0400 2010:
>>>
>>> Have you turned on the 'STRIP_LIBTOOL = 1' option in your GAR
>>> recipe?
>>> If not, try that first.  If it still doesn't work nicely, you'll
>>> need
>>> a bigger hammer...I've got one recipe where the trick about didn't
>>> work and I had to correct it through other means.  See the Openjade
>>> build recipe here:
>>> https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/openjade/trunk/Makefile
>>>

>> uh ... that looks great! do you know the source of the problem as
>> well, maybe we can notify upstream wo we do not need to work around
>> such things?
>
> i searched now for libiconv ... and i cannot find who introduces
> this :(

Usually this is from some other .la depending on libiconv where
the .la has
already been stripped. So the upstream notification would be for us to
remove
the .la from the respective package. As we already have chosen to remove
.la files from all new/updated packages and use STRIP_LIBTOOL on
problems
until everything is clean there is not much gain in finding the exact
cause. Just pick a package with .la and start fixing it if you want
to help :-)