[csw-maintainers] beware of xcb

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri May 28 18:28:48 CEST 2010

FYI, while the whole X11 thing is fresh in our minds:
our "new X11 tree" (which is now deprecated :) made use of xcb. Which
is a newfangled library to "replace" libX11.

We should actually *avoid* this, because it will in theory slow most
people down, presuming "most people" are going to be using an X server
shipped by SUn.

Sun Xlib will use the most efficient "local transport" methods
possible. special solaris local-memory transports.
But if you are using xcb to talk to a Sun Xserver, it will have to go
through generic transports, which will in theory introduce higher
latency.

A small snippet from a much larger thread:

http://www.mail-archive.com/xwin-discuss@mail.opensolaris.org/msg02214.html

The sun X11 team is looking at properly porting/integrating xcb into
opensolaris. But for NOW.. Xlib gives the best performance.