[csw-maintainers] Call for vote for increasing the limit of packages name

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 1 19:23:32 CET 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Do you, as an active foundation maintainer, agree to relive the current
> limit of packages name from the current 20 characters to the 32
> characters defined by the current packaging system?
>
> Please vote on this issue not later than November 8th, 2010.

the mailing list is not a voting mechanism.
Please set up your call for a vote in a more appropriate place, and
give a url reference, at the proper time.
(you might use one of the free voting thingies we've used in the past,
but I dont recall the name right now)
(or, request that "the board", or anyone else you wish, set one up.
I'll remind you that the official OpenCSW "secretary" is Dagobert)

Also, it is not appropriate to have the vote, until the timeperiod for
request for comments to our users has happened. As I emailed the list
today, an abbreviated timeperiod of 2 weeks seems appropriate.
Normally, for something globally affecting every single thing we do,
I'd suggest 4 weeks, but since I'm actually in favor of the change and
think it will pass without opposition, I'm okay with the shorter
period of 2 weeks.

So the timeperiod involved, would be better stated as
"No SOONER than november 14th, but not later than (november 21st?)"