[csw-maintainers] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/<pkg>: Add GAR build recipe URL to package page?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Nov 5 17:56:51 CET 2010

On 11/5/10, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> * Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>>
>> OPENCSW_REPOSITORY=https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/software/trunk@12345
>>
>> That does not refer to a specific file.
>>
>> If we are planning to make OPENCSW_REPOSITORY visible in our package
>> information webpage, then "description" does not fit that information.
>
> Isn't what the user sees once he clicks this sort of link (adjusted to
> be browser-usable of course) a build description? I tend to agree with
> Maciej that the location is an implementation detail and the field name
> should describe what content the link is pointing to.

That would only be true, if you CHANGE the link.
Clearly, the link as it currently stands, points to a directory that
it was built from, not a file.
Which, I suggest, is more useful to the user than linking directly to
the Makefile.
The user will most likely be interested in this information for either
two reasons:
1. browsing the source code with a browser.
2. rebulding the package himself from source.

In neither case will he be interested in only "the GAR recipe".

Besides which, not everything in our source tree is GAR.
I've been playing nice by including OPENCSW_REPOSITORY information in
certain packages of mine in the svn tree, and filling it out with
information which follows the literal meaning of the name:
referencing "where in the OPENCSW REPOSITORY this package was built".

If you want information in the package that declares "Which GAR recipe
file this was built from", then seems to me you should be doing that
under a more appropriately named pkginfo line.