[csw-maintainers] Positioning our website

rupert THURNER rupert at opencsw.org
Sun Nov 14 00:59:30 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 16:13, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Am 13.11.2010 um 16:01 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
>>
>> The first one is our domain registration.  Here's a snippet from whois:
>>
>> Domain ID:D153552903-LROR
>> Domain Name:OPENCSW.ORG
>> Created On:08-Aug-2008 08:29:30 UTC
>> Last Updated On:14-Sep-2010 20:19:19 UTC
>> Expiration Date:08-Aug-2011 08:29:30 UTC
>>
>> I'm not sure what the "Last updated" field means here, whether it was
>> the renewal date or an unrelated metadata update.  In either case, I
>> believe that extending our registration to 2 or 3 years into the
>> future would give us a huge boost.  Google considers domains that are
>> registered for a short duration less trustworthy and demotes them in
>> search results.  Extending the registration can be a really quick fix
>> for our positioning.  Dago, can you take care of that?
>
> Sure, request to my registrar sent.
>
>> The other suggestion requires more people to work together.  There are
>> essentially two things we can try doing:
>>
>> - work on moving opencsw.org up until it gets into the first 10
>
> I proposed a change to the front page, but somehow William is
> busy right now so it has not been done yet:
>
> Anfang der weitergeleiteten E-Mail:
>
>> Von: Dagobert Michelsen <dam at baltic-online.de>
>> Datum: 25. August 2010 14:47:42 MESZ
>> An: List for OpenCSW maintainers <maintainers at lists.opencsw.org>
>> Kopie: William Bonnet <wbonnet at opencsw.org>
>> Betreff: Reorganiation of webpage
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I gave the website some more thought. Personally I find the "Latest News"
>> section
>> not really useful as I have to click on it. The news should be
>> relocated/merged
>> with "Latest Announcements".
>>
>> The "Download" box occupies a lot of valuable space not used often. I
>> recommend
>> removing the box and renaming "Get it" to the more catchy "Download".
>>
>> Further I would think "Feeds" as second item in the top-bar should be
>> moved to the
>> right as it will be used only sporadically.
>>
>> One more thing: On http://www.opencsw.org/support/ the link in
>> "If you want to immediately use our software, you can go through the
>> quickstart
>> documentation page" to quickstart is broken.
>>
>> Feedback welcome!

yes, streamlining is a good idea :) when linking to opencsw.org from
outside i noticed that it is not that easy to directly link the
correct page. a couple of suggestions:

1. about
should not contain "install".

2. about - history
what about a direct link instead "the OpenCSW Wiki under the
“Association” section."

3. get it (or: download)
should offer a start without clicking again, either with pkg-get or
pkgutil for solaris 10. and below, the current sofware list should be
displayed. options are: pkg-get, pkgutil, manual download (linked to
"mirror sites").

4. get it - release branches
move the contents, shortened, to "get it - stable", "get it - current
(was: software list)", "get it - experimental".

5. get it - software list
remove experimental, mirror, manual download sections.

6. use it
remove the top titel and merge into support

7. use it
remove the blastwave hint, should be enough to have it in the
dedicated page. move "release program" (a shortened version?) to
"about".

8. use it, the tools, how to upgrade
remove, both are empty

9. use it, migration from blastwave