[csw-maintainers] http://www.opencsw.org/packages/<pkg>: Add GAR build recipe URL to package page?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 15 18:32:28 CET 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> ...Anyway, with either CHAR or VARCHAR, we still need to choose a
> maximum length.  With CHAR the MySQL limit is 255.  Without going
> outside of portable POSIX ranges for file paths, that should be enough
> even in the extreme cases.
>
> If we wanted to allow the svn path to grow to what Solaris would
> allow, then a VARCHAR(1023) is required.  I don't think our svn
> reference paths will approach this (or at least they shouldn't).

Preamble: unfortunately, the current subject line doesnt quite fit
what I'm talking about:
I'm talking more about just adding in the OPENCSW_REPOSITORY bit.
Shall we change the subject line?

within the context for that only --
For that, the actual database space could be somewhat fixed.
After all, we are now agreed that package names should be 31 chars or less.
And that the location for a package in our repository is usually
[top]/softwarename
Or in some rare cases (which I'd personally like to do away with)
[top]/(maybe-ONE subdir)/softwarename

So we could actually pick some reasonable fixed size for it. The exact
length, would depend on the answer to your followup question:

> I also think that the common portion of the SourceForge.net URL should
> be stripped out of the storage here and appended by php as a
> statically defined string in the code.

Are you suggesting that the existing string in pkginfo be left as is,
but when inserted into the database, we auto-strip out {top of
repository} ?

sounds potentially reasonable.

If so, then the database size for storing the OPENCSW_REPOSITORY info
could be limited to
31 + fileseparator + 31 = 63.   Make it 64 just to be 'rounded'

hmmm?