[csw-maintainers] commentary on shared library naming proposal

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 16 17:28:51 CET 2010

No dia 16 de Novembro de 2010 14:19, Sebastian Kayser
<skayser at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> * Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> I will also mention, given that Maciej gave the debian sharedlibs
>> policy (section 8.1) as a reference, if we abided by the WHOLE text of
>> that section. Again, my further notes on that, are at the bottom of
>> the wiki page.
>
> When it comes to policy vs "when seen beneficial" in this case, I regard
> it as helpful to have as few exceptions and as much of a standard as
> possible.

There's also the question of who is the subject to see the benefit.
Is it the maintainer or the release manager?  What if the two
disagree?  Is it reasonable for the release manager to reject a
split-off package even though the maintainer sees it as beneficial and
the package follows the naming scheme?