[csw-maintainers] apache 1.3 retirement?

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 16 18:10:36 CET 2010

Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> writes:

> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Nov 16 11:21:31 -0500 2010:
>
>> Probably its about time I do a quickie instead.  would be nice if
>> someone did it "properly" though.  There are some useful apache
>> modules that *only* work with apache1, I think, But last time i
>> verified that was a year or two ago.
>
> ...or spend the time updating the packages that depend on it.
> Removing it from our catalogs doesn't remove it from the mirrors that
> don't use --delete with rsync and it doesn't remove it from servers
> where it's installed.
>
> Just a thought.  I sure wouldn't invest my time in 1.3 these days.

Well, keeping old clunkers as Apache 1.x doesn't work toward keeping the
number of the packages under control as was suggested in the libraries
naming thread. However, it's very coherent with the state of mind that
opposed dropping Solaris 8, and will oppose the dropping of Solaris 9 for
who knows how many years.

Seriously, who distributes today Apache 1.x; who uses it? A reality
check is good from time to time.

--
Peter