[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 19 20:30:11 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 19.11.2010 um 18:34 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On 11/19/10, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:
>>> So let me share more detail of my experience, and how that benefits my
>>> position of release manager.
>>
>> Well, nobody said that your contribution [as release manager] to the community is not
>> valuable.
>
> Choosing the option of "no human release manager", is saying exactly that.
> (if one presumes that people are choosing that option, with the
> assumption that quality of packages will not suffer as a result)
>
> It would in some ways bother me more, if a majority of maintainers
> voted for "no human release manager", and believed in their hearts,
> "yes, quality of packages WILL suffer, but I dont care, i just want
> life easier for myself"
> If the majority of voting members no longer care about package quality
> as paramount importance, that would be a sign that opencsw has become
> an organization I would no longer wish to be a part of, or even use
> products from.

Peter, IIRC we agreed on moving to something similar like
  http://wiki.opencsw.org/automated-release-process
This indeed has no release manager for the first step when the
maintainer can deliver directly to experimental/ (as in the document,
not as we use it ATM), which automatically generates new catalogs
and brave users can install from that. But the migration to
the following repositories unstable/testing/stable (again as in
the document) are done asynchronously by the release manager.
So I think you are suggesting to shift the role of the release
manager slightly, right?