[csw-maintainers] [csw-users] important change: length of software names

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Nov 24 08:25:39 CET 2010

No dia 18 de Novembro de 2010 17:09, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On 11/17/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> No dia 16 de Novembro de 2010 18:52, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
>> escreveu:
>>> Since people had recently already submitted packages longer than 20
>>> chars, I thought there was no need for further coordination :-}
>>
>> Can we coordinate these kinds of changes in the future?
>>

> I'm usually all about coordination :) So sure thing.
> I'm just not sure what you think we missed out on, with this particular case.
>
> You couldnt make the change on 'your end', until the database and my
> registration scripts were changed.  But i'm not sure what the problem
> is in the other direction. I dont see what we "lost", if the gar-side
> changes were made a week after the database change, as compared to the
> same day.

You could imagine a maintainer who reads the announcement, updates his
local copy of the repository, attempts to build a package, and gets an
error message that his 21 character long package name exceeds the
allowed length.  Confusion: if he can't create such package, why the
announcement?  If the announcement is real, why can't he?  I don't
know if this scenario actually happened, but chances are it did.