[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Nov 24 18:12:59 CET 2010

On 11/23/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> No dia 20 de Novembro de 2010 19:46, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
> escreveu:
>> (I will point out that this is EXACTLY what Peter proposed: no-one
>> other than the maintainer would directly examine them before release,
>
> Yes and no.  No one other than the maintainer would _have_ to directly
> examine packages before putting the package into unstable.  However,
> the maintainer could ask another maintainer for a review of his package.

This is what I mean by "[something that works in the real world]".
In the "Real World", almost no maintainer asks someone else for a
review before releasing their package.

So your, and Peter's proposal, will effectively result in packages
getting directly released without any 3rd party review, for pretty
much all future packages.

> I think it was about a release to unstable, rather than current.

Err.. unstable IS current.
Maybe you mean experimental. But what is your proposal of migrating
packages from experimental to current?

> You're probably still thinking in the old model, while many people
> already think in terms of staged package catalogs.
>
> I don't think that the goal of providing high quality packages is
> contradictory with the idea of human-free release process.

People have only to check through the now public pkgsubmissions
archives, to see proof that this is false.
Many problems with packages have been caught by the existing release
process, that would not have been caught by a method of "only
maintainer looks at it".
You will probably reply by, "well users can always file a bug", to
which my reply is,
"users very rarely file bugs. it is more common for users to simply
stop using the package and look elsewhere".

I dont know about your definition of "high quality packages", but
"maintainer releases what is 'good enough for them', and no-one else
looks at it", definately does not fit my definition of it.