[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Nov 30 17:44:51 CET 2010

On 11/27/10, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>>
>> While complex issues may end up getting discussed on debian devel (as
>> complex issues with us, already get discussed on the maintainers
>> list!), it is in the end, up to the debian ftp masters what gets
>> released as a package, and what does not.
>
> Your use of "debian ftp masters" imply plural which already there is
> an improvement of what we have.

Its important to note that they have multiple, to share the extreme
workload, not so that maintainers get to run to one of them, because
they dont like how strict the other one is.

> How did they become masters of the debian universe? You call them the
> most democratic of all distributions so maybe we could learn something
> here since ours is not democratic at all or has your position ever
> been up for a vote?

I believe the debian ftp-master position, is a "delegated" position.
It is assigned by the Debian Project Leader. It is not directly
elected.

I do not have an objection to our release master being delegated by the board.
I would be interested to see who else wants to make an actual
commitment on the level that I have, both in time, and in commitment
to quality.
As far as I know, no-one else is interested in doing so.