[csw-maintainers] Alternatives (was: [csw-devel] SF.net SVN: gar:[11132] csw/mgar/pkg/alternatives/trunk)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Oct 4 18:47:03 CEST 2010

On 10/4/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>

> Ähhhh, what? At least I cannot remember that it failed. You insisted
> to rewrite the otherwise fully working RedHat implementation just
> because of the NFS-Share /opt/csw issue.

Yes. an "issue" which has been re-affirmed by multiple people
recently, not just me (at summer camp, I believe?) as worthwhile for
us to support.
So, lets *support* it, not keep bringing back, "should we support it?"
every time some effort is needed?
I'll also say the effort required is not colossal here.

> And after seeing all these
> issues with the rewrite the big question is: is it worth it?

I will point out that some of "these issues" have nothing to do with
the rewrite, but more about hokie behaviour with pkgadd across
global/non-global zones.

So yes, it most certainly is.
Any new implementation of something is going to have bugs. The
criteria should not be "does it have bugs", but "is it maintainable,
and can it meet our customer needs better than other solutions?"
The answer to the latter, is clearly "yes, and yes".