[csw-maintainers] GAR: Checks for shared library names

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 10 23:12:37 CEST 2010

Hello maintainers and GAR users,

I've just returned from PDT to GMT, and I have a checkpkg-related
announcement:  For the past week I've been working on an update to
checkpkg, which implements the idea for the package naming of shared
libraries.  The discussion is still on-going, but there seems to be
enough consensus to go forward and look how it looks in practice.
During the last week, I've done multiple iterations of analyzing the
whole catalog and adjusting checks.

As always, you can get rid of any errors by either adjusting your
package, or overriding the error.  You aren't required to conform to
everything checkpkg says; but make sure that you understand the issue
before you override any errors.

Here goes the summary:

1. .so files should not be together with shared libraries. GAR
suggests lines to add to the build file:

# (If CSWneon-devel doesn't exist yet)
PACKAGES += CSWneon-devel
PKGFILES_CSWneon-devel += /opt/csw/lib/libneon.so

2. If package contains multiple shared libraries, their versions
should match.  For example, libfoo.so.1.2.3 and libfoo_bar.so.1.2.3
are OK to be together, but libfoo.so.1.2.3 and libfoo.2.1.3 are not.

3. If there are shared libraries in the package, it should be named
after the library.  Checkpkg suggests package names and lines to add
to the build file.

PACKAGES += CSWlibaudiofile0
PKGFILES_CSWlibaudiofile0 += /opt/csw/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.0.2
PKGFILES_CSWlibaudiofile0 += /opt/csw/lib/libaudiofile.so.0.*

I've also written a wiki page with more documentation for the error
tags.  There are descriptions of 3 error tags at the moment.

http://wiki.opencsw.org/checkpkg-error-tags

As always, please mail me in case of any issues.