[csw-maintainers] checkpkg release

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 11 13:51:42 CEST 2010

No dia 11 de Outubro de 2010 05:18, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> No dia 8 de Outubro de 2010 00:19, Peter FELECAN
>> <pfelecan at opencsw.org> escreveu:

>>> newchkpkg
>>> superchkpkg
>>> &c
>>
>> I was thinking about just upgrading checkpkg to the newer version.
>> The current version (the one in GAR) is a functional superset of the
>> old version (the one in CSWcswutils).  If there are parts of
>> infrastructure other than GAR that depend on checkpkg's interface
>> (which has changed slightly), we can review the requirements and
>> implement backward-compatibility mode.
>>
>> Are there any parts of infrastructure that depend on checkpkg from CSWcswutils?
>
> side comment, semi-related.
> I think it might be nice to separate out the python depending stuffs,
> into a new package.
>
> not sure what to call it though.
>
> oh btw you already have an "older" version of your python-based checkpkg.
> you just keep it at the library level, as "checkpkg.py", it seems like?

Yes, it's a Python module only, used by comparepkg and submitpkg; it's
not the checkpkg executable.

> or, contrariwise, I wouldnt object to even doing things the opposite
> way, and splitting out my "older" stuff, into a differently named,
> non-python-depending package.
>
> upgrade paths might get a bit hairy on that though.

If you want to fork and keep the old code around, you probably need to
find a place for it to live.  The currently installed version of
CSWcswutils has a checkpkg snapshot checked into the files/ directory
under the GAR build.

OK, so what do we do now - will you find a new place for the code and
let me know, or are you OK with retrieving the code from the
repository, or do you have your own copy of it?